John D. Boyle
Specialty | Coverage
John Boyle is a founding member of Boyle | Shaughnessy Law. John has extensive trial experience practicing in both Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Since he founded the firm in 1987, John has worked on matters involving insurance coverage, catastrophic personal injury defense, premises liability, construction defect and bodily injury litigation, and bad faith litigation.
John is admitted to practice law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts, the State of New Hampshire, and the United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire.
John’s practice includes substantial experience in both state district and appellate courts, as well as federal court. John has represented insurers, product manufacturers, construction companies, contractors, homeowners, employers, and trucking companies. His civil litigation and arbitration experience includes defending his clients against disputes and matters involving insurance coverage, negligence claims, construction defects and accidents, trucking accidents, and premises liability. John has had much success in obtaining defense verdicts after many trials before six and twelve-person juries.
In addition, several national insurance companies have designated John as local catastrophic claims counsel and John’s experience includes working with insurers on pre-litigation claims. John has authored various legal works, including articles on the Massachusetts consumer protection statute, M.G.L. c. 93A, and insurance coverage.
Prior to founding the firm, John worked as an Assistant District Attorney from 1979-1982 on the Major Felony Trial Team. He also worked as the Assistant General Counsel at the United States Department of the Navy from 1978-1979.
John graduated cum laude from Suffolk University Law School in 1978, where he served as the Articles Editor of the Suffolk University Law Review from 1977 to 1978. John graduated from the University of Massachusetts, Boston with a B.A. in English.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- State of New Hampshire
- United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute – Insurance Coverage Committee
- The Expansion of Attorney’s Fees Awards in Mass. Declaratory Judgment Actions, The Standard Vol. 258, No. 8, Pg. 10 (March 2006)
- Recent Developments in the Calculation of Damages Against Insurers Under G.L. Ch. 93A, The Consumer Protection Act, 32 N.E. Law Review 101 (1997)
- The Elimination of Causation in 93A Actions Against Insurers, Boston Bar Journal (Feb. 1991)
- Insurance Coverage For Punitive Damages and Intentional Conduct in Massachusetts, N.E. Law Review (Spring 1991)
- Medical Records Affidavit Statute – A Flawed Hearsay Exception, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (Mar. 11 1991)
- Reasonable Expectations Doctrine in Massachusetts Insurance Law, Boston Bar Journal (April 1988)
- Peremptory Jury Challenges in Civil Trials, Boston Bar Journal (Feb. 1982)
- Collective Bargaining Rights of Hospital Housestaff, Suffolk U. L. Rev. (1978)