Scott M. Carroll
Scott M. Carroll is a Shareholder at Boyle | Shaughnessy Law with an active civil litigation practice in the state and federal courts of Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Scott is a successful and experienced trial attorney, having tried over 40 jury trials to verdict. He concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial claims, product liability, property damage, trucking and transportation matters, construction defect, premises liability and bodily injury claims. Scott has been designated catastrophic claims counsel by several national insurance companies. He is often retained by clients to try complex cases, sometimes just prior to trial. Scott’s trial experience includes matters involving a wide variety of disputed claims, including wrongful death, traumatic brain injury, trucking and FMCSR compliance, product defect, construction defect, premises liability, negligent security, municipal liability, child care liability, breach of contract and indemnity claims.
In addition to his trial work, Scott also devotes a substantial portion of his practice to advising clients with respect to risk analysis, risk avoidance and risk management. Scott routinely provides counsel and direct representation to insurance companies relative to issues of insurance coverage and insurer bad faith.
Scott has significant appellate experience and has successfully argued several appeals at the Massachusetts Appeal Court and the Rhode Island Supreme Court. He has also succeeded in limiting the applicability of the Supreme Judicial Court’s decision in Scott v. Garfield, which extended the protections of the Warranty of Habitability to guests of tenants. Scott is a member of Boyle | Shaughnessy Law’s Appellate Practice Group.
Scott has lectured and served as a panelist in continuing legal education programs for civil litigation. He is currently a member of the Defense Research Institute (DRI), Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association (MDLA), American Bar Association (ABA), Rhode Island Bar Association (RIBA), Defense Counsel of Rhode Island (DCRI).
Scott can be reached by email at email@example.com.
- Northeastern University, B.A.
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- State of Rhode Island
- Defense Research Institute
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Defense Counsel of Rhode Island
- Maine Construction Law February 2017, DRI’s Construction Litigation Desk Reference, February 2017
- Responding to Catastrophic Storm Losses,” DRI’s For the Defense, February 2017
- “Understanding Waiver of Subrogation Clauses,” DRI’s The Critical Path, Volume 15, Issue 11
- Scott was voted by his peers as a Massachusetts Super Lawyer Rising Star in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.