Scott M. Carroll
Scott M. Carroll is a Shareholder at Boyle, Shaughnessy & Campo, and P.C. with an active civil litigation practice in the state and federal courts of Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Scott is a successful and experienced trial attorney, having tried over 60 jury trials to verdict. Scott has been designated catastrophic claims counsel by several national insurance companies. He is often retained by clients to try complex cases, sometimes just prior to trial. Scott’s trial experience includes matters involving wrongful death, traumatic brain injury, trucking and FMCSR compliance, product defect, alleged civil rights violations, construction defect, premises liability, negligent security, municipal liability, child care liability, breach of contract and indemnity claims. Additionally, Scott regularly defends GL, D&O and EPL claims asserted against non-profits, educational institutions and fraternities. In this respect, Scott has extensive experience defending claims involving allegations of discrimination, sexual abuse, civil rights violations, Title IX violations, personal injury and improper employment practices.
In addition to his trial work, Scott is also committed to counselling his clients with respect to risk analysis, risk avoidance and risk management. Scott routinely provides counsel and direct representation to insurance companies relative to issues of insurance coverage and insurer bad faith.
Scott has significant appellate experience and has successfully argued several appeals at the Massachusetts Appeals Court and the Rhode Island Supreme Court. He has also succeeded in limiting the applicability of the Supreme Judicial Court’s decision in Scott v. Garfield, which extended the protections of the Warranty of Habitability to guests of tenants. Scott is a member of BSC’s Appellate Practice Group.
Scott has lectured and served as a panelist in continuing legal education programs. He is currently a member of the Defense Research Institute (DRI), Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association (MDLA), American Bar Association (ABA), Rhode Island Bar Association (RIBA), Defense Counsel of Rhode Island (DCRI).
Scott can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Northeastern University, B.A.
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- State of Rhode Island
- Defense Research Institute
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Defense Counsel of Rhode Island
- Maine Construction Law February 2017, DRI’s Construction Litigation Desk Reference, February 2017
- Responding to Catastrophic Storm Losses,” DRI’s For the Defense, February 2017
- “Understanding Waiver of Subrogation Clauses,” DRI’s The Critical Path, Volume 15, Issue 11
- Scott was voted by his peers as a Massachusetts Super Lawyer Rising Star in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.