Scott M. Carroll
Scott M. Carroll is a Shareholder at Boyle | Shaughnessy Law.
Scott litigates cases in the state and federal courts of Massachusetts and Rhode Island and heads up a team of attorneys in each jurisdiction. Scott is a seasoned trial attorney, having tried over 60 jury trials to verdict. Scott has been designated catastrophic claims counsel by several national insurance companies and is often retained to try complex cases, sometimes just prior to trial. Scott’s experience as a litigator crosses a broad spectrum of legal matters, including wrongful death, traumatic brain injury, trucking and FMCSR compliance, product liability, construction defect, premises liability, negligent security, class actions, employment and Wage Act claims, child care liability and medical malpractice. Additionally, Scott regularly defends GL, D&O and EPL claims asserted against non-profits, educational institutions and fraternities. In this context, Scott has extensive experience defending claims involving allegations of discrimination, sexual abuse, civil rights violations, Title IX violations and improper employment practices. In addition to his trial work, Scott is frequently called upon to counsel clients and insurance carriers with respect to risk avoidance, risk transfer and risk management. Scott routinely provides legal opinions and direct representation to insurance companies in the areas of insurance coverage and insurer bad faith.
Scott has argued before the Massachusetts Appeals Court and the Rhode Island Supreme Court and is a member of Boyle | Shaughnessy’s Appellate Practice Group.
Scott has lectured and served as a panelist in continuing legal education programs. He is currently a member of the Defense Research Institute (DRI), Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association (MDLA), American Bar Association (ABA), Rhode Island Bar Association (RIBA), Defense Counsel of Rhode Island (DCRI).
Scott can be reached by email at email@example.com.
- Northeastern University, B.A.
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- State of Rhode Island
- Defense Research Institute
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Defense Counsel of Rhode Island
- Maine Construction Law February 2017, DRI’s Construction Litigation Desk Reference, February 2017
- Responding to Catastrophic Storm Losses,” DRI’s For the Defense, February 2017
- “Understanding Waiver of Subrogation Clauses,” DRI’s The Critical Path, Volume 15, Issue 11
- Scott was voted by his peers as a Massachusetts Super Lawyer Rising Star in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.
- Rhode Island Monthly, Professional Excellence in Law – Civil Trial – 2020
- Boston Magazine Top Lawyers 2021