Mark A. Aronsson
Focus | Civil Litigation and Appeals
Mark Aronsson is a Shareholder in the Boston office where his practice is concentrated in civil litigation and focuses on business litigation, appellate work, class action defense, insurance coverage, professional liability, and employment law. Mark has tried multiple cases to verdict, both before trial courts and in the MCAD. Representative matters include:
- Lead counsel on appeal of 93A / 176D claim alleging bad-faith failure to settle and resulting in bench verdict of over $1 million. Terry v. Hosp. Mut. Ins. Co., 101 Mass. App. Ct. 597, ___ N.E.3d ___ (2022)
- Obtained summary judgment in $100 million coverage dispute arising from multi-state consumer class actions against retailer alleging privacy violations related to collection of ZIP Code data. OneBeacon Am. Ins. Co. v. Urban Outfitters, Inc., 21 F. Supp. 3d 426, 429 (E.D. Pa. 2014), aff’d, 625 F. App’x 177 (3d Cir. 2015);
- Defeated class certification in putative class action against auto dealer alleging violations of consumer protection act. Cabrera v. Auto Max Preowned, Inc., No. SUCV201601227BLS1, 2019 WL 3550579, at *1 (Mass. Super. June 17, 2019);
- Lead counsel in appeal that established standard for obtaining new trial before trial court. Wahlstrom v. JPA IV Mgmt. Co., Inc., 95 Mass. App. Ct. 445, 127 N.E.3d 274 (2019);
- Obtained defense verdict in two-week jury trial against funeral home alleging mishandling and loss of cremated remains;
- Obtained defense verdict in housing discrimination claim alleging violations of Fair Housing Act;
- Prevailed on Rule 12 motion to dismiss in attorney malpractice case filed in federal court;
- Obtained summary judgment in tort action involving unique question of whether Boston city ordinance requiring property owners to maintain abutting sidewalks free of ice and snow imposes tort duty in favor of injured pedestrians. Baskin v Raju & Manik, Inc., No. 2011-1824, 2015 WL 13016308 (Mass. Super. Oct. 27, 2015) aff’d, 90 Mass. App. Ct. 1124, 75 N.E.3d 1147 (2017).
- Represented insurer in bad faith claim arising from $10 million verdict in underlying wrongful death case;
- Represented auto dealer in multiple employment class actions alleging violations of overtime and Sunday pay statutes;
- Lead counsel on appeal that established duty of care owed by employers to third parties injured by employee’s criminal conduct. Ledet v. Mills Van Lines, Inc., 97 Mass. App. Ct. 667, 150 N.E.3d 782 (2020);
- Defeated class certification on pre-discovery motion in putative class action alleging that landlord violated M.G.L. c. 93A by charging rent when it could not supply natural gas to its tenants due to the Columbia Gas explosions;
- Obtained defense verdict after one-week jury trial on claims brought against residential landlord alleging breach of contract, quiet enjoyment, and 93A claims arising from alleged failure to provide heat and hot water as a result of Columbia Gas Explosions.
Prior to joining Boyle | Shaughnessy Law, Mark served as a Law Clerk to the Honorable Debra Freeman of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (2009-2010) and as a law clerk to the Justices of the Massachusetts Superior Court (2007-2008).
Mark received his Juris Doctor from Northeastern University School of Law and his undergraduate degree from the University of Vermont.
Mark can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Vermont, B.A., cum laude
- Northeastern University School of Law, J.D.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- State of New York
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer Rising Star: 2013–2017
- Boston Magazine Top Lawyers 2021-2022